Face Makeup vs. Eye Makeup


First of all, let me talk about my philosophy about makeup:


I like, for the most part, for my makeup to enhance my natural features instead of distracting from them. It's fun to play with more intense makeup sometimes, but I think subtle is the way to go for every day. 

Makeup, to me, is kind of like doing your hair. Most days I'm content to just comb it and put it in a braid, ponytail, or quick updo. But sometimes it's fun to put in a bit more effort and curl it. It's not necessary, but it's fun and makes you look extra put together.

Also, if you're getting your picture taken, it sometimes helps to go a bit heavier with your makeup since in doesn't show up as well on camera. In the example photos below I put on more makeup than I typically wear just so y'all could see it. :)

Anyway.

I was curious about which type of makeup makes a bigger difference: eye makeup (liner, eyeshadow, and mascara) or face makeup (foundation, concealer, blush, bronzer, etc.). So I decided to take some photos and share them with you and get your opinion!

These photos have only been edited for exposure and white balance.


No Makeup VS Just Eye Makeup
Here I am with no makeup vs. just eye makeup. I filled in my brows, added a bit of light brown eyeshadow for contouring, some eyeliner and mascara. I think it really helps to draw attention to my eyes. But those dark circles...


No Makeup VS Face Makeup
Here is am with no makeup vs. just face makeup. I like how my skin tone is evened out, I have a bit of color on my cheeks, and my dark circles are softened. 


Eye VS Face Makeup
And here's a comparison of just the eye makeup and just the face makeup. It's a tough call for me. I really like the way my eyes are enhanced with the eye makeup, but my skin looks much more even with face makeup. What do you guys think?


PicMonkey Collage
As a side note, I think that hair is almost (if not more) important to your overall look than makeup. Here I am with no makeup and my hair scraped back into a ponytail vs no makeup and my hair softly pulled back. I think it makes quite a difference.


Hair and All Makeup

And here I am with both eye and face makeup. This is more makeup than I like to wear on a day-to-day basis. If I could only do THREE things with makeup, I would fill in my brows, add a touch of eyeliner, and conceal my dark circles. Everything else is just icing on the cake.


How about you? 

How do you like to do your makeup? If you could only do 3 things with makeup, what would they be? Which do you prefer: eye or face makeup?



12 comments

  1. I think that perhaps they are both equally valuable (the eye make-up and the face make-up) but just perform different jobs.

    I like to use makeup myself. For me foundation seems to make a big difference and I think eye make-up really does make my eyes look more open.

    This was a fun post. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it! Yes, it really is a toss-up for me. Covering my dark circles really helps to make me look more awake, but so does eye makeup. :)

      Delete
  2. I really like makeup for creative purposes. Both face and eye are equally valuable imo, but if I only have time for one or the other, I usually opt for eyes. If I am really in a hurry, I hide circles, apply ~2 neutral eyeshadow colors, and do some mascara. You are right - hair makes a difference, so I always wear it down and well combed for important events!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmhmm. It's really fun to play around and see what difference looks you can create. :)

      Delete
  3. 3 things: I never leave the house without eyeliner, mascara, and lipstick. You are a young person and I think you can go the French way for your skin: take care of it well, with home facials and a lot of moisturizer. This will smooth out your skin so you need less, if any, foundation. That's my take on it, but you look great in all of these photos, but the eyes are the window to the soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! I usually don't like to wear much if any foundation because I haven't found one that looks super natural on my skin. I really should start up a more intense face routine - I'll bet it would help my skin to be more even! :)

      Delete
  4. I really couldn't say either or, because eyes really brighten up the face so much. I find that if I put just loose powder on, I feel better about my skin tone but don't feel extra 'pretty' because my eyes aren't defined at all. Still, for the practicality of washing my face, I sometimes put on just powder foundation (I use Everyday Minerals and highly recommend them!) and blush and leave my eyes plain because I'd have to do a bigger washing routine. If I'm leaving the house though, I always do everything - loose powder foundation, blush, mascara, liner or shadow (usually not both), and usually lip. But...blush would be my first pick if I only did one thing. Bobbi Brown calls it 'instant pretty!' and I agree. I feel so much prettier with a little cheek and lip color, so that plus mascara would be my 3.
    What you said about hair is true as well...but I find that I'm ten times happier with my hair when I've done my make up first! If I haven't done my make up I'm much less likely to be satisfied with how I'm fixing my hair. Vain but funny :) I love your fresh face, and even your full make up looks incredibly natural and simply enhancing - lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you hit on it exactly! Foundation smooths out your complexion but eye makeup/color is about enhancing your natural beauty. I think it also partly depends on your skin and eyes - if you have a pretty uneven complexion, smoothing it out can really help to not distract from the eyes. If your eyelashes are pretty light colored, some mascara and eyeliner helps to draw attention to your eyes.

      I love Everyday Minerals! I've been using them for years - they were probably my first makeup purchase. They're pretty affordable and their products are great quality. I still use their products regularly. Now I want to make an order...

      Delete
  5. I agree with Linda, you have the best natural make up - called youth! I think the eye make up looks more naturally you (if that makes sense). My three things would be eyeliner, mascara and dark circle concealer. It's only when I put lipstick on that the other half notices I have any make up on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, for some reason I feel more "done up" when I do my face makeup vs my eye makeup. Ha, yes! I think Reuben doesn't even notice when I'm wearing making most of the time. It's only when I do it more heavily than usual that he knows. Sneaky sneaky. ;)

      Delete
  6. fun photo evidence!

    My basics are under-eye concealer (Erase Paste by Benefit), Benefit Daisy blush, and a soft gloss by Burt's Bees. If I'm getting fancy, I add blue eyeliner on my top lid and mascara.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I usually fill in my dark circles (my allergies get me there!), even out my skin a bit, and put on mascara. I also like the simple makeup route. t's fast, and it enhances my natural beauty! But I'm always up to experimenting and learning new ways to beautify myself. :)

    ReplyDelete