A Quick Photography Lesson – Lighting


I do not claim to be an expert. I do not claim to have advanced beyond amateur in photography. But I would like to share a few things that I have learned in my 3+ years of snapping photos.
**End of Disclaimer**
Light. The essence of photography. It doesn’t matter how expensive your equipment is. If the light in which you are shooting is horrid, your photos will reflect it.
Here is a quick example of how lighting can go from boring to magical.
One day early this spring we set off in search of mushrooms. I decided to bring my camera along in case we found anything. As we strolled down the path, I snapped a few pictures, like the one above. Not a horrid shot, but kinda boring.
Then, I saw light shining through the trees on the trail ahead. I readied my camera.
Here’s the photo SOOC (straight out of camera). See what a difference a little light can make? See the awesome rim lighting on Katelyn & Dad? The leaves dancing with light? Beautiful.
Photography is about waiting for that perfect moment. It’s about being alert and aware of your surroundings. So next time you’re out shooting, take your time and search out some lovely light.
Yours ever,
Erica Lea.
~ Subscriber via RSS ~ Get email updates ~ Facebook ~ Twitter ~

3 Responses to A Quick Photography Lesson – Lighting

  1. Maria 
    Light makes all of the difference. I always love your photos. You are very talented!
  2. heather 
    Expert, amateur or in-between, you have talent. Lots of it. Thanks for sharing your tips!
    Cheers,
    *Heather*
  3. Kathryn Grace 
    So true! It’s so worth it to be patient and wait for the right light – it can make a world of difference!

No comments